Namport has been and continues to monitor the developments with the COVID-19 coronavirus closely, and has thus formulated an action plan that accommodates the different threat levels, ranging from level 0 to level 4. Level 4 is if and when the virus spreads to the 2 regions within which we as a port operate. The plan is to mitigate the spread of the virus.
At Namport, our most precious commodity is our staff members and their well-being remains managements’ top priority. Our clients and other stakeholders are equally valuable to us and consequently, the company has also put measures in place for their safety.
- An Emergency and Disaster Management Committee in accordance with Emergency Preparedness and Response Plan for the Port of Walvis Bay/Lüderitz has been activated and the committee meets on a daily basis.
- All business-related trips have been put on hold until further notice, as well as training.
- Any employee who travels outside Namibia privately should quarantine themselves at home for 14 days upon their return.
- We issued PPE to all front line employees with detailed procedures on the correct usage of such PPE.
- Biometric access control system suspended and replaced with manual operation by Namport Security who will disinfect every employee / visitor whenever entering any Namport building.
- The Namport gym has been closed until further notice, and the internal boot camp has been suspended until further notice.
- Health talks are conducted at the beginning of each mass meeting.
- We continue to make use of the following modes of communication; Email, updates of multimedia screens, SMS, WhatsApp messages, noticeboard updates, EXCO and Namport Ambassador's walkabouts to communicate precautionary measures against the COVID-19 virus.
Our clients and stakeholders
- All external meetings to be done via teleconference or video conferencing where possible.
- Port tours with schools have been called off until further notice.
- We will keep you informed with any changes/ updates through electronic communication modes.
- All Namport events have been cancelled or postponed and stakeholders who are affected by this have been notified accordingly.
Namport remains committed in playing its active part in supporting the World Health Organization’s and our government’s efforts to curb the spread of infections due to the COVID-19 virus and will continue to acclimatize its operations where required.
I would like to take this opportunity to remind us that good Hand Hygiene is ultimately the best measure to curb the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
Acting Chief Executive Officer