Proposed Stategic Expansion of the Container Terminal at the Port of Walvis Bay
Namport recognises that the existing container terminal at the Port of Walvis Bay facility will, by 2012,
reach its full capacity with no possibility for expanding the stacking area. It therefore intends to construct a
new container port facility on reclaimed land inside current port limits.
For questions related to the project's Environmental Management Plan (EMP), please contact:
Precious Gowases at 081 436 3573 or Linda Garises at 081 330 3328
Environmental Management Committee (EMC) Container Terminal Project
• A committee representing the various stakeholders that include representatives from the Ministry of Fisheries and Marine Resources (MFMR), the Ministry of Environment and Tourism (MET), the Local and Regional Authorities, CHEC, (the Contractor), the local fishing industry (white fish and pelagic), NGOs like the Coastal Environmental Trust of Namibia, PS HSE (Namport's Environmental Control Consultants for the project) and the general public.
• The key role of the EMC is to monitor the implementation of the Environmental Management Plan (EMP) for the project acting as a link between NamPort and the public.
• EMC's meetings are held quarterly.
• The highlight of the discussions of the meetings thus far have been on the implementation of the EMP and the update on the environmental issues.
EMC Members (including those not presen in above photo):
J. Laubscher (Namport), F. Wessels (Namport), B. Nicolson (Namport) J. Lund (Namport), L. Garises (PS HSE Consulting), P. Gowases (PS HSE Consulting),
J. Cornelissen (PS HSE Consulting/NEHC), A. Kadhila-Amoomo (PS HSE Consulting), S. Elwen (Nam Dolphin Project/PS HSE Consulting), F.W.Botes (MFMR), A. Kreine (MFMR), D. Uushona (Walvis Bay Municipality), P. Botha (Geo Pollution), GS. Nakale (Etosha Fishing), S.Uushini (NACOMA), T.Eiman (Namport), W. De (CHEC)
W. Linguang (CHEC), N. Kumar (CHEC), O. Shigwana (Namibia Association), L. Xu (CHEC), S. Roussouw (CETN), E. Geldebloem (Namport)
• Comments Registration Form [~186KB]
• EMC Meeting Minutes - March 2017 [~215KB]
• Public concerns received up to November 2016 [~250KB]
• Public information session, meeting no. 5 - 31 May 2017 [~4.4MB]
Please visit the associated sub-sections for more information: