Proposed Stategic Expansion of the Container Terminal at the Port of Walvis Bay
Namport recognises that the existing container terminal at the Port of Walvis Bay facility will, by 2012,
reach its full capacity with no possibility for expanding the stacking area. It therefore intends to construct a
new container port facility on reclaimed land inside current port limits.
Information Sharing Session: 12 August 2015 @ 18:00
Namport is holding a public information sharing session as required by the approved Environmental Management Plan for this
Venue: Wellness Centre Hall (opposite Namport Head Office), 1 Rikumbi Kandanga Road, Walvis Bay
For general questions about the meeting, please contact:
Precious Gowases at 081 352 9473 or Linda Garises at 081 330 3328
Environmental Management Committee (EMC) Container Terminal Project
• A committee representing the various stakeholders that include representatives from the Ministry of Fisheries and Marine Resources (MFMR), the Ministry of Environment and Tourism (MET), the Local and Regional Authorities, CHEC, (the Contractor), the local fishing industry (white fish and pelagic), NGOs like the Coastal Environmental Trust of Namibia, PS HSE (Namport’s Environmental Control Consultants for the project) and the general public.
• The key role of the EMC is to monitor the implementation of the Environmental Management Plan (EMP) for the project acting as a link between NamPort and the public.
• EMC's meetings are held quarterly.
• The first meeting was held in 11 December 2014, the second meeting was held on the 19th of March 2015 and the third meeting was held on the Wednesday the 17th of June 2015.
• The highlight of the discussions of the meetings thus far have been on the implementation of the EMP and the update on the environmental issues.
EMC Members (including those not presen in above photo):
J. Laubscher (Namport), F. Wessels (Namport), B. Nicolson (Namport) J. Lund (Namport), L. Garises (PS HSE Consulting), P. Gowases (PS HSE Consulting),
J. Cornelissen (PS HSE Consulting/NEHC), A. Kadhila-Amoomo (PS HSE Consulting), S. Elwen (Nam Dolphin Project/PS HSE Consulting), F.W.Botes (MFMR), A. Kreine (MFMR), D. Uushona (Walvis Bay Municipality), P. Botha (Geo Pollution), GS. Nakale (Etosha Fishing), S.Uushini (NACOMA), T.Eiman (Namport), W. De (CHEC)
W. Linguang (CHEC), N. Kumar (CHEC), O. Shigwana (Namibia Association), L. Xu (CHEC), S. Roussouw (CETN), E. Geldebloem (Namport)
Next EMC Meeting: 16 September 2015, at 09h00, Namport Head Office
Please visit the associated sub-sections for more information: